Monday, September 6, 2010

Day 10: What a Difference a Sunday Makes

Sundays are busy at the studio, I think in part because it is the day of the class that started it all. Two years ago Ryan created Sweaty Sundays to give his friends and people in the community a non intimidating way to enjoy dance, and today he has his own studio. The students that come in are passionate and interesting and diverse and they, along with Ryan, create an energy that is intoxicating. I enjoy my Sundays with them.

After work I drove out to Santa Monica for church. My church is three blocks east of the beach, so my 20 minute drive resulted in a 30 degree drop in temperature. It always feels like Fall at the beach in the evenings, and I have fallen head over heels in love with it. My church with it's 70 year old Monseigneur who tells it like it is, the cold air, the fog that rolls in and the smell of the ocean have captured this Girl's heart.

One of my favorite parts of Mass is the few minutes after communion when we each get to take a few minutes for some one-on-one time with God.  

It was during this time just a few months ago that I sat in my pew, praying with tears sliding down my face. I didn't have a job, I was scared, I didn't know what my next step was supposed to be. I pleaded for a sign, guidance, comfort and strength...

"God doesn't close a door without opening another, but sometimes it's hell in the hallway."

Tonight as I kneeled it struck me that I was happily talking/praying about the triumphs, frustrations, concerns and opportunities I'm experiencing and asking for guidance for the coming week. As I kneeled in the same spot where I had shed tears not so long ago, I grinned at the realization that my heart has been repaired and my circumstances turned around.

My hallway days in this part of my life have come to an end. I am joyful.

When I was leaving church I checked my phone and saw an unexpected text message.

Things might be getting interesting for this California Girl...

No comments:

Post a Comment